Outings and Expeditions
We recognise that classroom-based learning of academic material is only part of journey towards understanding how a subject can be applied to the real world. We offer a vast range of opportunities for boys to enrich and broaden their understanding of their chosen subjects, hosting numerous academic speakers within the college, whilst also running a impressive variety of trips and expeditions. For instance we encourage students to visit the Bank of England and take part in a Student investor Challenge, or visit CERN to see how the search for the Higgs Boson takes place outside of a theory lesson on particle Physics. Boys have the opportunity to work with PhD students from Liverpool University, or visit St. Ives as part of an Art course to see how the gallery compares to those in New York or Germany. With London on our doorstep, Dulwich is very fortunate to be able to access a vast range of speakers, competitions and events.
- A significant number of boys enter the British Mathematical Challenges at Junior, Intermediate and Senior level, and many boys qualify for the subsequent Olympiad rounds including one pupil who reached the British Olympiad team in 2014
- Many pupils enter the Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Informatics and Linguistics Olympiads every year, and we achieve Gold, Silver and Bronze awards regularly. In 2012-13 nine of the top 100 and five of the top 50, physicists nationally were Alleynians. Two boys finished in the top 18 nationally in the 2013 Linguistics Olympiad.
- We have had regular success in the Bank of England Target 2.0 competition and won it in 2010
- We regularly achieve success in national essay competitions
- IOL language awards in French or Spanish are achieved by many pupils post-GCSE
- In the last four years, pupils have finished in the top 10 three times in the Weizmann Institute International Safe-Cracking competition, including first place in 2011
- The CERN essay prize and summer research work-placement has been won by three pupils each year
- Dulwich is the top ranked debating school in the UK. The Debating team achieves regular success in national competitions, with national representation from our leading debaters achieved consistently from 2010-14. Dulwich won The Oxford Union Debating Competition in 2014, 2015 and 2016 and won The Cambridge Union Schools Debating Competition in 2014 and 2015.
- Young Designer Awards: we have around eight Arkwright Scholars in the Upper School each year
- Winner of 2011 The Times Stephen Spender Translation Prize (Under 14 category) and 2nd Prize in 2012