Do I need a Visa? Does the College issue CAS documents?

All students who are not citizens of a country in the European Union or EEA (European Economic Area) will need visas to study and live in the UK. The College can issue a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (known as a CAS) which will contain reference numbers and information you will need for your visa application. Further information on visas.

Do I need to report to the police station within 7 days of arrival in the UK?

If you obtain a visa to come to the UK, that visa will tell you whether you have to register with the police on arrival in the UK. The College will help you with this process if you are asked to do it.

IELTS; do boys need qualifications?

IELTS qualifications are not required when applying to the College as each candidate will be tested in English. However a high level in spoken and written English is necessary at all points of entry. Universities in the UK and overseas usually require students to have reached a certain proficiency in English before offering a place. Our EAL department will work with pupils in groups, and one on one, to help them reach the required level as soon as possible.

What happens to boarders in the holidays?

All boys should go home or stay with a Guardian during the holidays. Boarders must leave on the final day of term, but can return to the boarding house the day before school begins, in order to get unpacked and settled in. The Upper School boarding houses remain open during the Summer term half term break, as boys are in the middle of their A level examinations, but all houses are closed for the October and February half term breaks. Term dates.

Do I need to appoint a Guardian for my son?

The College insists that every pupil (even those 18 years old or over) whose parents are resident overseas must have a guardian living in this country. The guardian must be at least 25 years old, and should live close enough to the College to carry out his/her duties effectively.

What do the fees include?

Food and textbooks are included in the fees. Some house activities and trips will be covered, but others may be added to the school bill. This will always be made clear in advance.

What are exeat weekends?

There are four exeat weekends a year for pupils in Years 7 to 11, two in the Michaelmas term and one in each of the Lent and Summer terms. The boarding house closes on Friday (5pm) and opens on Sunday (5pm). The dates are on the College website.There are no exeat weekends in Years 12 and 13.

Where can I buy a school uniform?

All Dulwich College uniform is available at the school shop, the Commissariat, which is situated in the main College campus. Opening times.

Do I need to bring bedding?

All bedding is provided, but boys are welcome to bring their own if they prefer.

Is transport to/from the airport available?

The journey to Dulwich College is around one hour, from both Heathrow and Gatwick airports. Please contact the Housemaster if you would like to organise airport transfers. This can be done at the beginning and end of each holiday, and the cost is usually added to the next term’s fee bill.

What do boarders do at the weekend?

There are no lessons at the weekend. The College has extensive sporting facilities, many of which are open to boarders at the weekend, and many boys participate in College teams and play matches against other schools on Saturdays. Music practice rooms can be available on request. House trips and activities are often laid on at the weekend, but it is also important to allow boys some time to relax, recharge their batteries, socialise or study. All meals are provided in the College dining hall throughout the weekend. Further details about trips and activities.

What happens if my child feels ill at school?

We have a fully staffed Medical Centre where the boys report to if they are feeling unwell. If they are ill during the night the Housemasters have training in the provision of basic medicines, and there is also an on call nurse available 24 hours.

Can boys have pocket money in the boarding house?

We do not operate a system of providing pocket money, and boys are encouraged to open a bank account locally. The Housemasters can help with this but parents are strongly advised to make arrangement themselves as it is a much easier process.

When do the boys do their homework?

There is supervised prep time each day during the week (75 minutes for the younger boys, 120 minutes for the Upper School students). Boys use classrooms/computer suites and a member of the teaching staff is always on duty, to help students if necessary, and to ensure a studious atmosphere. In their final year, boys are allowed to study in the boarding house during prep time, either in their study bedrooms, or in the house IT suites.

Is there an induction programme for new boys?

Induction is an ongoing process, and continues throughout the year. However, a full programme is laid on for new boys over the first few days of the Michaelmas term. Over this period of time they will participate in a team building morning, tour the College and the local area and meet all those staff likely to play a part in their lives over the coming months and years.

Boarders Outside Ivyholme House

Discover More