Timeline

Timeline Navigation

1500

No post to display.

1600

No post to display.

1700

No post to display.

1800

No post to display.

1900

New Science Building
  • 1906

Lord Rayleigh, President of the Royal Society, laid the Foundation Stone for the New Science Building designed by Charles E Barry, built between 1906 and 1908. He was the third Barry to work as Architect to the Dulwich Estate.

Read More about New Science Building
The Suffragettes
  • 1913

Damage to the College's Science Building of around £300 was caused by a fire allegedly started by suffragettes. The lecture hall in the Science Building was wrecked, but the incident was brought under control when a police constable patrolling on Union Road (now Hunt Slip Road) noticed the fire and raised the alarm.

Read More about The Suffragettes
The German Guns
  • 1919

At a Governors’ meeting on 14 November 1919 it was agreed that a concrete platform be made on the east side of the flagstaff for the German field guns that had been presented to the Dulwich College Officer Training Corps by the War Office in recognition of its work before and during the war.

Read More about The German Guns
Athletic Houses
  • 1920

In 1920 the Senior School was divided into six Athletic Houses, each named after an eminent Elizabethan – Drake, Grenville, Marlowe, Raleigh, Sidney and Spenser. Drake and Raleigh were allocated to day boys.

Read More about Athletic Houses
The James Caird
  • 1924

The James Caird the lifeboat of explorer Ernest Shackleton is installed at Dulwich College. All Shackleton’s voyages had a scientific as well as exploratory purposes, but it is the James Caird, the 23 foot whaler, that epitomises his fortitude in the face of adversity.

Read More about The James Caird
Ivyholme
  • 1932

Ivyholme, today a boarding house for senior boarders, was opened on 22 July 1932 by the Earl of Harewood. It was designed to accommodate 28 boys. Between 1942 and 1944 it housed undergraduates from the School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS)

Read More about Ivyholme
Old Blew
  • 1934

The original Blew House, now known as Old Blew, first accepted boarders in 1874. The current Blew House was built in 1934. It was the only boarding house to remain open throughout World War Two despite some roof damage following a bombing raid in 21 July 1944.

Read More about Old Blew
The Pavilion
  • 1934

The cricket Pavilion was designed by architect Danby Smith and built at a cost of £8,000. It was opened on 5 May 1934 by Sir Kynaston Studd who had played cricket for England and who then later went on to become Lord Mayor of London.

Read More about The Pavilion
Second World War
  • 1939

On war being declared Dulwich College was briefly evacuated to Tonbridge School. The experience was not a success, and the boys returned by the end of 1939. The College remained open throughout the war; the only major London day school to do so.

Read More about Second World War
Carver House
  • 1945

On 27 July 1945 it was agreed that the Pavilion would be used as temporary accommodation for The Orchard following the bomb damage to the junior boarding house in February 1944

Read More about Carver House
  • 1948

The Combined Cadet Force (CCF) came into being on 1 April 1948 following an amalgamation of the Junior Training Corps (Army), the Sea Cadets and the Air Training Corps.

Read More about The CCF
The Science Wing
  • 1957

Sir Cyril Hinshelwood opened the extension to the Science Block, a suite of laboratories in an additional building to the rear of the Science Block called The Science Wing and paid for by the Industrial Scientific Fund for Public Schools.

Read More about The Science Wing
  • 1964

Although societies already existed in the late 1800s, the Dulwich College Union was not established until 1964. Its aim was to encourage boys to introduce new societies. Our oldest society is the Science Society founded in 1874.

Read More about The Union

2000

No post to display.
2019